Community Information

Welcome to the City of Angola's Community Information Page.

Located in the Northeast corner of the state of Indiana, Angola is the County Seat of Steuben County. Angola was founded in June of 1838 by Thomas Gale and Cornelius Gilmore and is the home to Trine University. The population was 8,612 at the 2010 census. 

Downtown Angola's traffic circle (or roundabout-- nicknamed "The Mound"), looking east. The monument in the center is dedicated to those who served in the American Civil War. The building with the cupola is the Steuben County courthouse, which is on the National Register of Historic Places. 

The most popular landmark in Angola is the Monument, referred to by locals as "The Mound" or the 'Circle.' Built in 1917 by E.M. Heltzer, The Monument commemorates the Civil War. It has statues for all four branches of the military. On top is the statue of Columbia, facing east. It cost $17,000 in 1917, over $1,000,000 if it were built today. The Monument is the center of many town celebrations and festivities. It was unveiled on Thursday, September 13, 1917 at 1PM to much fanfare. On the Monument are plaques with the names of the 1,278 men from Steuben County who fought in the war. Per capita, more men from Steuben County enlisted for the war than any other county in Indiana. The monument underwent a renovation in 1993 and was re-dedicated during Fourth of July ceremonies.

Historic and Recent Photos of Downtown Angola: 

Historic Downtown Angola Downtown Angola - The Mound
To learn more about what Angola has to offer, please browse through our links under "In This Category."
recovery.gov energy.in.gov
Please also check out our Residents, Business, and Visitors pages for more information on the City of Angola.

Contact Us

210 N Public Sq
Angola, IN 46703
Get Directions

  • Phone: (260) 665-2514
  • Staff Directory